It is a known fact that most men don't pine after women the same way they used to. Unashamed public yearning only exists within the female race, at least from my experience. However, there used to be a time when the opposite was true, and these traits have traveled to the rare modern man. Three prolific examples of these exist within the music industry, and we are allowed to reap the tenderness of their wanting.
Leonard Cohen's "I'm Your Man" appeared in the soundtrack of one of my all-time favorite movies and has seeped its way into every playlist I make. His music is also what inspired me to make this tiny list of three. Now, Cohen is the type of singer that adds a bit of tasteful sleaze to his art -- the kind that inspires you, almost requires you to be kinky, and proudly so. In "I'm Your Man" specifically, the lyrics are proof he is willing to offer himself up as a sacrifice to be whatever his lover desires and requires. He's willing to get on all fours and beg, be a temporary asset, be a loyal partner, or even be a completely different person. It's totally appealing, and blatantly sexy. Where did this breed of man go? I'm convinced they've gone extinct until proven otherwise.I hope you understand that I am by no means male-centered, although it may come off that way since my first post seems to be only about men. However, it's quite the opposite. I hope to show through this post, that while not common, it is possible for men to truly yearn after women, instead of the opposite being necessary. I hope that there will soon be a resurgence of men that outwardly show affection. It would absolutely make the world a better place.
Leave your honorable mentions, favorite songs, and thoughts in the comments, I love a good discussion!

Bring back honest, painful yearning!
ReplyDeleteWe literally will not settle for less!
DeleteOh, so you know absolute ball :)
ReplyDeleteso do you, fellow Clairo enthusiast! also, loved your piece on Penelope Garcia!
Deleteomg hozier is a fav of mine.. and jeff. Now I need to go get familar with Leonard!
ReplyDeleteYes!!! I was introduced to his music while watching Secretary (2002), which is totally a weird girl's dream.
DeleteLoved this. Jeff Buckley speaks to me when it comes to yearning
ReplyDelete